TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - No, but there are probably better options
People Seeking Info

Subject No, but there are probably better options

Posted by Shiers69 on November 27, 2012 at 11:16 AM
  This message has been viewed 209 times.

In Reply To Anybody opposed to a Delorean with a vg30dett in it? (n/m) posted by Jiro on November 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Message (I used to love the DMC when I was in jr high/high school and researched the shit out of them back in the day. I changed my mind after actually having the opportunity to drive one.)

The major concern with the DMC is it's obesity. The stainless steel used is rather thick by comparison with modern cars giving it a decent amount of extra weight. Match that with the under-powered PRV 6-cyl engine and you end up with pretty shitty performance.

The VG30 is by no means a light engine and running a TT setup would probably require you to modify the body to get air fed to intercoolers - modifying the body lines of a DMC is even more blasphemous than doing so to a Z32.

I think your best bet is running a more modern high compression and perhaps slightly modified 4-cyl (250hp+) NA.

Some of the more common swaps for the DMC include GM's classic "Northstar" V8 as well as the Mazda RX platform. Both are fairly compact with a decent amount of power and less weight than the VG.

That being said - if you really want to go for it and have the time and money to get 'er done it could be pretty cool to see.

As an FYI, The reason why I eventually was scared away from the DMC was the brakes. While driving my friend's Dad's car I was absolutely shocked at how difficult it was to stop the car. I didn't know what the deal was at the time, but maybe the brake booster was out, or maybe there is no brake booster. Also, I'm sure it's got drums all the way around. Either way, that pretty much ended my quest to find a DMC... well, that and the fact that I had already started to enjoy my Z32.

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.